Saturday 18 February 2012

By Lauren Martin

The Dangers of Text Messaging

The definition of text messaging, or texting, refers to the exchange of brief written text messages between fixed-line phones and mobile phones. Texting has become a prominent technological advance in teenager’s lives, and is the first form of technology that takes a step back from our society’s progression. Teens text even while crossing the street, driving, and finishing homework. Text messaging is a way of life for teenagers in society today, and teens even text so much that their thumbs begin to hurt during the day. According to an article in The New York Times by Katie Hafner, the texting phenomenon is beginning to worry physicians and psychologists, who say it is leading to anxiety, distraction in school, falling grades, repetitive stress injury, and sleep deprivation. Dr. Martin Joffe, a pediatrician in Greenbrae, California, recently surveyed students at two local high schools and said he found that many were routinely sending hundreds of texts every day. “That’s one every few minutes,” he said. “Then you hear that these kids are responding to texts late at night. That’s going to cause sleep issues in an age group that’s already plagued with sleep issues.” Psychologists are even expressing concern about text messaging causing a shift in the way adolescents develop. Text messaging has dwindled our thought processes to an all time low, molding teenagers into individuals whose minds cannot seem to focus on a particular subject for prolonged amounts of time. Text messaging has made a lasting impact on teen’s personal lives, as shown in the graphs and statistics by Harris Interactive. The fact that the majority (57%) of teens view their cell phones as the “key” to their social lives proves that teenagers in our society depend on technology to make their lives seem “complete.”

Pew Internet released a graph, on the right, concerning the percent of teen cell phone owners that have experienced negative aspects while text messaging. The graph displays the negativity involved with the texting phenomenon in the eyes of the beholders themselves, teenagers. The graph refutes the idea that text messaging is the “greatest” technological advance of our time.


Text messaging has changed the way my generation communicates and critically thinks. When I think about how many times I text throughout my day, I lose count. With receiving, reading, and sending text messages my generation has become utterly dependent on the advance as a lifestyle. When I try to fathom living without text messaging, and without my phone in general, I cannot even imagine starting my day without having constant “communication” with my friends and family. The saddening aspect of my thought process is that I did not even receive a cellphone until my eighth grade year, even then my cellphone constantly sat idol on my dresser. The fact of the matter is text messaging cannot be regarded as a sophisticated form of “communication” between two people. There is no interaction involved in the typing of a text message, and no contemplation over the subject matter. How will this “texting” phenomenon affect future generations in the subjects of critical thinking and reflection? Text messaging is “instant” hence the other term for text messaging, “instant messaging.” There is no thought process needed in text messaging, and instant gratification can be received through text messages. My generation thrives on instant rewards and gratification, causing my generation to become bored with lengthy tasks. This, in turn, leads to my generation becoming distracted and easily bored, causing short-term attention spans. Technology and text messaging has molded my generation into “mindless” individuals who turn to technology to “distract” us from the cumbersome tasks of our daily lives.

Mark Bauerlein's book, “The Dumbest Generation” centers around the issues of technology and my generation, or “the dumbest generation.” I personally have a dystopian view towards technology and the way it has shaped us to become less connected individuals in society. When I get bored, I turn to Facebook and Twitter, instead of picking up a novel or getting ahead on my studies. Just as I am writing this blog post, the spelling and grammar correction aspect of Word “corrected” my mistake of not thinking to capitalize Facebook. The word “Facebook” would have been foreign to Microsoft Word a decade ago, let alone the correction of the word. I turn to technology to satisfy my ever-wondering mind, and I believe technology has “dumbed” down my thought process. Technology has brought many advances to society, but I feel that the cons outweigh the pros. My generation is dependent on technology; the most horrifying fact of the matter is that technology will always be prominent in our lives. Human beings created the “Frankenstein” of our society, known as technology, and I hope one day the creation will never outsmart the creator.

Graphs and Links

Fun Links and Videos:

http://www.lingo2word.com/translate.php

http://youtu.be/F7cmf6KKhg8

http://youtu.be/hv-GR_ANwjI

http://youtu.be/yS3SCHrSduk

http://youtu.be/3JyGlqZN5EE

No comments:

Post a Comment