Wednesday 22 February 2012






Language of the Digital Native

By Dan Murray

On December 3rd, 1992 Neil Papworth, a 22-year old test engineer for Sema Group used a personal computer to send the first text message with actual words via the Vodafone network to the phone of Richard Jarvis. Little did Neil and Richard know that they had just opened the Pandora’s box to the ultimate dumbing down to date of the English Language. (S.V) Being a Digital Native this form of a morphed English is know as “text talk” has became my second language. Common examples include the phrase “ I will see you later” turning to “ Il CYA L8r”, and I couldn’t neglect my personal most hated” I will talk to you later” to “TTYL” (side note: If anyone ever texts me “TTYL” I will in fact not talk to you later). The future is only looking brighter; here are examples of the top 10 of 2012 (Paul Gil):

1) Wut- what
2) Coo- cool (typing that “l” takes to far long)
3) IDK- I don’t know
4) HMU- hit me up
5) Props- proper respect and acknowledgment
6) WBU- what about you?
7) KK- ok (probably the dumbest)
8) Sup- what’s up?
9) IDC- I don’t care
10) WDYMBT- what do you mean by that?

The fact is students today are drifting farther from their studies. As I’m writing this I’m finding it hard to sit and focus with the temptation of highlights on ESPN.com just a couple clicks away. This kind of instant access to friends and entertainment can be detrimental to ones learning outcomes. The students mind is now prone to a “getting it done on time” mindset instead of focus on quality of work mainly, because we have so many more options that we deem more enjoyable not even seconds away. Like technological visionary Edward Tenner cautioned” It would be a shame if the very intellect that produced the digital revolution could be destroyed by it.”(Digital Divide (37)


The jury is still out if we are in fact the dumbest generation in mankind, but its not looking very good. We may be able to process information faster than any other generation, but what is the point when it’s all surface level. I do believe that we will have some of the brightest people ever in mankind come from our generation, but I believe that gap from the intelligent to dumb is greater than before. I feel the issue is completely based on our effort, and barring the idea of some work ethic driven renaissance the gap will remain that way. However, surely are main objective as a generation will be cleaning up the environmental and economic mess the past generations have left us in. If we accomplish that goal we’ll be cherished, and if we fail…than we suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment